The Melon Breeder contributes to the development of inbred lines and hybrid varieties of Charentais and Italian-American melon that meet the performance targets set by the Europe Africa Middle East (EAME) and Americas market segment teams. This includes input from the market segment teams (trialing) and the Cucurbits Business Unit. Primary target markets are France, Spain, and Italy.
You will lead nursery management activities to develop new inbred lines and hybrids. You will conduct extensive field evaluations to select hybrid according to market segment needs. You will be responsible for implementing marker-assisted selection, high-throughput phenotyping, fast cycling, germplasm management, predictive breeding, and other modern approaches to develop elite parental lines and commercial hybrids. You will implement data driven approaches to advance products as well as enhance genetic gain for the long-term success of the breeding program.
The position is offered on a permanent contract, France, Saint Sauveur (31).
This position requires business trips in Europe (up to 30% for field visits and workshops), and occasionally Worldwide.
Fluency in French and English mandatory. Spanish will be valued.
Start date: as soon as possible.
- Develop robust nursery and hybrid trial plan within allocated resources and budget. Perform field evaluations to select hybrids for target markets.
- Develop strong expertise in melon crop biology, agronomy, breeding, genes, germplasm, and genomics to address critical trait priorities.
- Participate in hybrid advancement decisions. Work with market segment and portfolio team to advance products in line with product profiles.
- Implement modern breeding approaches in the breeding program such as high-throughput phenotyping, fast-cycling, statistical tools, and predictive breeding.
- Develop and maintain product portfolio (of varieties) in line with market segment requests and business planning addressing short-, medium-, and long-term market segment needs.
- Develop awareness of product profiles for commercial portfolio throughout EAME and America’s market segment areas. Strong interaction with Breeding Trial Specialists, Product Development Specialists, and Portfolio Managers to address product performance gaps. Pro-actively engage to learn changing market needs and provide information to sales/commercial team to assist them with their decision-making.
- Actively collaborate with Trait Development Leads and Genetic Scientists to identify innovative traits, develop marker-trait associations, germplasm management, trait introgression, and implementation of genomic selection.
- Implement sophisticated statistical tools for genomic selection and product advancement.
- Communicate with peers and supervisors regarding status of projects and work activities, raise awareness of issues that could affect meeting project objectives and business goals.
- Perform all tasks in a manner compliant with and in support of all safety and stewardship related company policies and practices, including completing all required training courses.